Registration provides an institution with the opportunity to establish a formal, publicly recognised relationship with the University Council of Jamaica (UCJ).
- To be eligible to submit programmes for accreditation, institutions must first seek registration by the University Council of Jamaica.
- The aim of registration is to certify that an institution meets certain minimum operating standards required for the conduct of a higher education institution in Jamaica.
- It is a first step towards the accreditation of programmes offered by an institution.
- Registration, therefore, is a pre-accreditation status.
- The criteria for registration are closely related to the criteria for accreditation since they are meant to provide registered institutions with a foundation for logical development towards accreditation.
- Accreditation is a voluntary process.