The University Council of Jamaica functions essentially as an accrediting, awards and academic development body for degree, diploma and certificate programmes proposed and developed at approved higher education institutions. Its main functions are:
- Development of Academic Standards
- Registration of higher education institutions operating in Jamaica.
- Accreditation of Academic programmes offered by local and overseas institutions operating in Jamaica.
- Institutional Accreditation.
- Evaluation of credentials, and credentials for CSME Certificate of Recognition.
- Provision of Information concerning institutions and programmes offered locally, regionally and internationally.