About the JCTE
The Joint Committee for Tertiary Education (JCTE) was launched in 1991 under Section 6 of the Education Act. The Joint Committee for Tertiary Education is administered by an Executive body elected by the members. The members of the JCTE are tertiary institutions which are registered with the University Council of Jamaica.
JCTE Executive Committee members
The members of the Executive Committee include:
To strengthen tertiary Education and Training in Jamaica through advocacy, institutional capacity building and by providing forums for sharing and learning.
JCTE, a responsive, vibrant, transformational and inclusive representative of tertiary institutions, has enabled the strengthening of tertiary education and training in Jamaica; resulting in a fully trained educated and employable workforce while providing opportunities for access to higher education.
- Customer focused
In executing its functions, the JCTE seeks to:
- Provide a mechanism for member institutions to address common issues related to tertiary education and training in Jamaica
- Promote more effective communication, collaboration and co-operation between member institutions
- Promote the systematic and integrated planning of tertiary education and training within the context of the national development plans
- Make recommendations to the Minister of Education, Youth and Information on policies affecting member institutions
- Promote and facilitate proper articulation of programmes within tertiary system
- Strengthen the educational capacity to meet its own high-level training, research, consultancy and outreach needs
- Promote and foster the most recent innovations in technology in the delivery of education and training
- Encourage and facilitate institutional performance and capacity to change in order to meet national development needs
The newly structured sub-committees assist the JCTE’s executive in fulfilling its mission to strengthen tertiary education and training in Jamaica through advocacy, institutional capacity building and the provision of forums for sharing and learning.
The active involvement of tertiary educators in the sub-committees, ensure that member institutions are represented. The existing sub-committee designations are:
- Capacity Building and Services
- Advocacy and Public Relations
- Conference and Forums
- Finance & Administration
- JCTE & HEART Trust/NTA Partnership
- HEART Trust/NTA launches three-year Absorptive Capacity Programme
Dates of JCTE Sub Committee Meetings-2018