The UCJ registers institutions that have met minimum higher educational standards with respect to:
- the governance and administration/management
- academic programmes
- admission policies
- assessment of student learning
- Resources (laboratory, libraries, physical facilities, etc.)
- student support services
As Registration is a pre-accreditation status, it entails the first five steps of the accreditation process which are shown below:
Step 1 APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION
- The scheduling of a preliminary meeting with the institution to discuss the quality assurance framework, the requirements of the documentation and the registration process;
- The institution’s submission of an Application for Registration;
- The processing and review of documents submitted by the institution to determine eligibility for Registration visit.
Step 2 SITE VISIT
- The selection and training of an evaluation team for the Registration visit;
- The interviewing of relevant stakeholders of the institution on-site and evaluation of the institution’s facilities and resources by the evaluation team.
Step 3 REPORT WRITING
- The preparation of the Registration report by members of the evaluation team.
Step 4 INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSE
- The Registration report is sent to the President/Principal of the institution for review;
- The institution prepares a written response to the UCJ to address the recommendations in the Registration report.
Step 5 REGISTRATION DECISION
- The review of the Registration report and the institution’s response by the Accreditation, Curriculum and Development Committee (AC&D) and the submission of a recommendation to Council;
- The Council’s review of the recommendation of the AC&D;
- Council may delay a decision and ask that the institution address particular issues. In such a case, the application would revert to Step 4 of the process;
- The decision of Council is communicated to the institution in writing.
Entities/institutions interested in Registration should request via email (email@example.com) copies of the following documents to begin the process:
- The Registration Process: Guidelines for Registration
- Application for Registration
- Self- Study Handbook
- Schedule of fees
Upon review of the documents, entities/institutions should contact the UCJ to schedule a meeting to discuss their interest in seeking Registration.